Monday 30 May 2011

sodium metabisulfite

Q: what is that?
A: wikipedia says it "It is used as a preservative and antioxidant in food and is also known as E223"


There's so many coconut milk brands on the market I don;t know which one to go for. I've being buying young coconuts online from Thai Foods Market for 600 yen a pop and I thought I'd get some other items to get up to 10,000 and get free delivery. Their Chaokoh coconut milk is 400 yen, so I checked in the local supermarket and their Chef's Choice coconut milk was much cheaper. So then I started thinking that some coconut milks are better than others. Some coconut milks like Chef's choice contain sodium metabisulfite, other's contain other antioxidants, preservatives and thickeners. Coconut milk can separate in the can into oily cream and water so most brands put in a thickener like guar gum. It's harmless apparently.

So which coconut milk is better? Well, none of the above. The main ingredient of coconut milks and creams is water. If the fat content is 17%, it is called "coconut milk." If the fat content is 24%, it is called "coconut cream." But most of what you are purchasing is water. Coconut cream and coconut milk costs about the same so why buy coconut milk when you can buy cream and add water?
 


I can find kara coconut cream in the supermarket near my house so I think I'll use that from now on. It still contains a "GM-free stabilizer" and a high percentage of water, but it's better value for money. Other Coconut Creams


In a perfect world however, I would buy coconut cream concentrate. 
It's got no water in it and all it is is coconut, no thickeners, preservatives or antioxidants. I've only seen it online at Tropical Traditions, but I think it might work out cheaper in the long run if I order it in.





No comments: