Tuesday 7 June 2011

Is Ouzo Paleo?

To make ouzo you get almost pure alcohol from yeast, then bring it down to 40% by adding star anise, coriander, cloves, and cinnamon depending on the brand.

From Epikoria.com
"Traditionally, quality Ouzo is distilled (at least two times and often three) in copper stills containing pure ethyl alcohol derived from pomace, and anise. Other flavorings, such as cloves, coriander or cinnamon, may also be added. (The composition of flavoring ingredients are often closely-guarded company secrets and serve to distinguish one Ouzo from another.) "

Pomace is the remains of grapes.
Ouzo sounds like it's as paleo as tequila :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just googled whether ouzo is paleo, and I agree that it probably is, just wondering if you came up with any further info on it! I'm Greek and I love ouzo, and I've been drinking it ever since I turned paleo and it doesn't seem to cause any problems..Just wondering if you know anything more about it! I'll go check the rest of your blog now! :)